
Leaving Wellington yesterday was exciting, as it meant the final leg of my journey to Queenstown was underway. I will travel back across the Cook Straits to the South Island, and then drive down to Christchurch again, this time with Nikola's Mom, Ruth. The following day we drive to the West coast, to a small village outside Greymouth, where we make a final stop, before I depart the following morning for Queenstown. Finally.

Wellington was awesome in the end! I got to go to a professional rugby game, between the Hurricanes and the Brumbies, after having gone to the ANZAC dawn parade commemorating the fallen battalions of the first world war, in Gallipoli (sp?). New Zealand's gun was present at the parade, and at the game, where it shot a couple rounds and deafened the audience, before the lone trumpeteer proceeded to misplay the "call to arms"... yikes!

As if that wasn't enough, New Zealand's two tanks were also present at the field, just to make it look good, and it's military helicopter flew in and hovered above the field while a soldier got hoisted in to deliver the match ball! Seriously though, I think the entire New Zealand military was at that field...


After the dawn parade, at dawn, we went up to Mount Victoria, which overlooks Wellington Harbour. It was a great way to check out the entire city, and see how the landscape has been shaped by the wind and tides of the Cook Straits. The city is one of the windiest in the world, which makes it interesting for airplanes to land on the tricky runway, built on what was formerly a narrow marshy passage from the mainland to an island-peninsula.

Driving down in Ruth's badass Land Rover was fun. I was by far the flashest traveller on the roads! Bling! We even picked up a hitch-hiker from Picton, and she sat in the back quietly until Christchurch.
I'll have some more news once I get to QT, so more later...
Happy Birthday Mom! Love you
Cleeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
3 comments:
Vouliaksta ta nhsia!
Michael, London.
Clesssssssss -
thanks so much for your happy birthday wish and your happy birthday phone call - it made my day !
seriously - I think your calling may be in travel writing and observation - you make the voyage so interesting - I almost feel that I am reading a novel and can't wait for the next chapter !
your NZ military assessment was marvelous !
love,
mom
Another great blog post, dude.
Funny line about the NZ military. It sounds like a fun time. I love the photo of you and your two friends with the harbor in the background.
Your Palestinian-style red scarf is definitely the fashion of the moment for eurostyle lefties... and has been for 20 years! (now how does that work?)
But seriously, you look great, and your blog is the wittiest and most consistently enlightening "travel narrative by an iconoclastic twentysomething Greek-American hockey player travelling through New Zealand" I've ever had the pleasure to read. And that's one of my favorite literary genres!
TR
Post a Comment